Dear Parents and Carers,
This year your child will be using Lexia Reading Core5®, a fun computer-based program that has helped millions of students. The activities in Core5 support and build on our classroom curriculum and focus on developing reading skills in six areas: phonological awareness, phonics, structural analysis, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.
Here’s how Lexia Reading Core5 works:
● Your child begins Core5 at a starting point that fits his or her needs and works in online activities throughout the week.
● Online activities include direct instruction and feedback as your child learns new skills.
● Progress and performance in the program is reported so teachers can provide help when needed.
● Paper-and-pencil activities are also used for practice and may be done in school or brought home.
● Achievement certificates will be sent home to celebrate success and to show progress in the program.
Lexia Reading Core5® will be used at home for 30 minutes each week as homework. Getting started is easy!
1. To use on a computer, go to www.lexiacore5.com or click the link on the homepage of the school website.
2. To use on an iPad, iPad mini, or Android* tablet, download the free Lexia Reading Core5 app from the App store or the Google Play store. *Android support is limited to these devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and Tab S2, and Google Nexus 7” (2012 and 2013) and 10”. The app will not work on other devices, including Kindle.
3. Your child can then log in with the username and password used at school. This will be sent home on a small ‘credit card’.
4. It is important that your child works without any help while using Core5. All of the work your child does at home is recorded and reported to school. This way, teachers can see when help is needed and provide additional instruction at school.
Miss E Charlton